Frequently Asked Questions
Please read this FAQ before you start a demo. There are important information about the usage und the rules of this site.
- Q: What all about this site ?
- A: I built this site to allow anyone to try out some different versions of PC/GEOS without to install it on a computer or into a virtual machine.
- Q: What does I need to access the demos ?
- A: First, you need a VNC viewer to access the demos. Second, your VNC viewer must be able to communicate on the TCP port 590x with this server. Make sure your firewall isn't blocking this ports.
- Q: What kind of VNC viewers are supported ?
- A: If your browser has support for Java Applets (NOT Java Script), then you can use the integrated TigerVNC viewer. You can also use any other standalone VNC viewer which support the protocol RFB 3.3 or higher.
For PC/GEOS 3.x and higher, you can use the VNC viewer written by Markus Gröber from his website or directly from this site. For any other operating system, you can use TigerVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC or others.
- Q: The Java VNC viewer of this site cannot connect to the server.
- A: There could be different reasons.
1. If your computer is configured to use a proxy for accessing the Internet, then make sure to exclude this site in the network configuration of Java.
2. If you get the message Access Denied: java.lang.RuntimePermission getProtectionDomain, then you must add the line permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "getProtectionDomain"; to your java policy file (on Ubuntu with Icedtea this would be the file /etc/java-6-openjdk/security/java.policy).
- Q: The PC/GEOS VNC viewer cannot connect to the server.
- A: Make sure to activate the option "Use the RFB protocol of verion 3.3 (GEOS VNC-Viewer)" when starting a demo.
- Q: Why can't I enter non ASCII characters ?
- A: I haven't been able to get a reliable way for supporting all different keyboard layouts. Therefore, the demos are configured for the US keyboard and the character it provides.
HINT 1: You shouldn't need to change the keyboard in the demos, even if you use a totally different keyboard layout at your local computer.
HINT 2: Use the PC/GEOS program "Character Map" if available in the demo.
- Q: Why can't I use the "Alt-Gr" characters ?
- A: This seems to be a problem with the Java VNC viewer(s). If you really want to use the characters produced by a combination with "Alt-Gr", then you must use a real VNC viewer.
- Q: Are there any restriction on the usage of the demos ?
- A: Yes.
1. You are not allowed to have running more then one demo from the same IP address at the same time.
2. If you have requested a slot and don't start a demo within 5 minutes, your request will be canceled.
3. The use time of a demo is restricted to 1 hour per start. It will be killed after this time.
- Q: Why are this restrictions ?
- A: Because you consume resources from the server and the internet connection. This service is free of charge and all does have the same right to use it. If there is abuse on it, I have to remove the service.
- Q: Are there any planed improvements ?
- A: Yes.
1. Support for international keyboards.
2. Support for timezone.
3. Support for sound.
4. Support for network.
5. Support for public view only sessions.
6. Support for private instances.
7. Better backend solution.
8. More different demos.
9. Support for C64, Apple II and PC/GEOS 1.x demos.
Return to Start
- Q: Can I help to improve this site ?
- A: Yes. Please !
If you have any correction or could help to improve this site, please send an email to me.